The Basic Pistol Course is designed to teach the student proper safety techniques, skills and attitude. This class takes place both in the classroom and the shooting range. Successful completion of the course will meet all requirements for CCW in Ohio and many other States. Successful completion will qualify the student as a basic practical shooter with the NRA. This course is designed for the Novice shooter and / or experienced shooters.
This course is designed to instill the proper knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the daily carry of a concealed firearm on your person. Material and topics of discussion include:
- Handgun (semi-automatic & revolver) nomenclature
- Safe administrative handling
- Firearm & ammunition storage in the home
- Defensive shooting positions
- Handgun ready positions
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
- Firearm maintenance
- The legalities of self defense
- Interacting with law enforcement
- Understanding criminal assault
- Overview of combat physiology
Holsters & placement options
Students are given a written test and must score a minimum of 80% correct. Students must also pass a live fire test with a minimum score of 80%, along with the student demonstrating safe handling of a semi-auto pistol or revolver.